Saturday, July 18, 2009

Double your pleasure, Double your fun -- learning TWO Thai languages is better than One!!

Wednesday, July 15 -- day 1 at the MTC.
After you guys dropped me off, I went and got my name tag. . .
(She writes out in Thai what it looks like because I told her I wanted to see it. I'm looking forward to the photo of it! -- I can't put it in here for you because there are no Thai letters on my keyboard.)
Apparently, there are TWO ways to write Thai -- a Romanized version, and an original Thai version. We have two Preach My Gospels -- one in each! (Plus an English one, so we have three!) Thai is also the only language where you have to obtain TWO bags of books -- so everyone knows where you are going because we carry around TWO bags. When I got here, I had to get TWO more shots -- a polio (apparently there is a different kind of Polio in Thailand) and a Japanese Encephalitis. That one hurt. Still does, actually.
We went to an orientation where we had two missionaries teach an "investigator" while we all watched on a TV. The teacher told us to try and feel what our Heavenly Father feels for this investigator. It was cool because I got a spiritual witness that Heavenly Father loves us -- ALL of us -- and that is why we are here.
We had an orientation by the MTC President. He told us that we are now different people -- we have been set apart and are special witnesses of Christ. Everything we do, whether for good or for bad, represents Christ. That really motivates me to make the most of every second I am out here.
My companion is Sister Erin Meyers. As far as we know, we are the only Thai sister missionaries that came in today. I am the senior companion, although I really don't know what that means. (Sara's cousin Greg knows her companion - and she explains that here.)
We have class tomorrow at 7AM where I am told we will learn to pray in Thai.
I love you all so much! I am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now, but very excited -- I don't know what to expect, but I am sure it will be amazing!
Sister Webb

1 comment:

  1. Melodie, I am so glad that I still get to keep up with her everything! Thanks for doing this! I actually just ran into Taylor yesterday at the Hill Cumorah Visitors Center, that was a fun treat and he told me all about the 2 different PMG I thought that was crazy! I'm so happy that she is loving it already and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete