Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sawadii Kha family!

August 11, 2009
So this was quite the eventful week. Our Phii Thais left last night, which was actually quite a bummer. They are so much fun. And, we went from having fifteen friends to two. But, we are very excited for them, and now we have bottom bunks that don't squeak! I can't even tell you how happy that makes me. We aren't getting any new sisters in our room - so it is going to be me and Sister Meyers with a room for six people all to ourselves. We each get three closets and a desk and a half - - it will be nice, but quite lonely at the same time.
So here is my random spiel for the day on why I love the Thai language. All of their words are made up of smaller words, which makes words very descriptive of what they mean. My new favorite word is "talent" which is phaansawan - phaan means blessing and sawan means heaven! - I LOVE how that works and how their words are put together! It is SO much cooler than English, in case you were wondering! And as for why all other languages are wussy compared to Thai ( I just have to throw that in a little bit), there are seven vowels in English. In Thai? There are 105 vowel and tone combination's! Whoa! Some of the vowels have the most miniscule differences - it is so hard to hear the difference between them, but the difference is very important, as we have already figured out. For example, the word for "name" is chuu and the word for "adulterer" is chuu - there is just a very slight different vowel and the vowel in the word for name is not a sound we have in English. So, as missionaries, we have to be extra careful when we introduce ourselves to say "my name is" instead of saying "I am an adulterer." So much fun.
Well, I am still loving being on a mission! We were at a fireside and we sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth", which made me happy anyways, but they they changed the words "And we will be the Lord's Missionaries" to "We are now the Lord's missionaries!" Man, I almost lost it - that made me so happy! It just hit me that I have been waiting for this for my whole life and I am living it right now! SO awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment