Monday, October 11, 2010

That is not how it works, silly!

Add Sister Supansaa for a week

10/10/10
We have a new companion for a week. The Thai missionaries arrived from the MTC last week - one week before moves, so all the sisters in Bangkok now have threesomes for one week. Our new friend is named Sister Supansaa. She actually went to BYU Hawaii for the last year and a half so she speaks English WAY better than I speak Thai. She is a lot of fun. Basically I forgot how nice it is to not be the only one talking. She speaks Thai, you see, so she talks some too. So nice. I don't want to give her up. But we only have her until next Wednesday - when she will get her actual trainer and move somewhere. Her sister served a mission here and just finished about four months ago. They have an awesome family - all members, all have served missions, and all have been to the temple. Pretty rare in Thailand. Her family converted when she was two.
We have an investigator named Lek who we had a good week with this week. We went to go see her and she said she had been praying every day. She is a taxi driver and she said that she has been having a hard time finding enough work and that she prayed and got more customers. She is adorable. She talks really fast and honestly I only understand about 50% of what she says to me. But I try really hard and hope that if it is something really important the Spirit will tell me. She calls me Tiffy. I have no idea why. I am not really sure how you get Tiffy out of Sister Webb. But I like it. I have always wanted a nick name and I have never really had one. So I guess Tiffy works. She was praying at the end of a lesson and she said "Thanks that tiffy and 'What's your name again?' (At this point she was looking at Sister Eyestone, talking to her in the middle of the prayer) but then she just said "and tiffy's friend could come here today." She is hilarious. I love when people panic in the middle of the prayer - they will be praying and then they will look at you and say "I don't know what to say" or "how do you close again" or "what is your name again"? It is pretty funny. It is so new to them. Anyways - the lesson with her was good. We taught the restoration and I asked her what affect it would have on her life if it was true - she was like "well, I guess I would have to follow these teachings". Why yes. Yes you would. It is always good when someone understands that - sometimes they are just like - I will have more good in my life and I can start worshipping Christ after I finish worshipping Buddha. No! That is not how it works silly!
We had a really good week of inviting and new investigators. We started teaching a family of six! It was awesome - we invited the mom and she said that she would talk to her husband and see if he was interested. I kind of thought that meant no - it usually does - but she gave us her phone number so I called her and asked her and she said that her husband was interested too and that we could come over. When we got there, the whole family was there! She has four kids - two of whom are really small twins that are really cute. They also had a niece and nephew there. The dad was probably the most interested of them all - and that is half the battle. It is a very patriarchal society - so if the dad learns, they all learn. It was awesome - but still very early - we have only taught them once. We are going back tonight. We had an appointment yesterday but she called and moved it to tonight - also a good sign that she is willing to call us instead of just not being there. They are a really cute family and I really want them to get baptized. I will keep you updated. The little boys walked out with us and they were ahead of us practicing prayer - it was really cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment